[bct] Re: Digital recorders for Dummies

  • From: "Joni Colver" <joni.colver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 09:33:21 -0600

I have listened to several podcasts, from Jamie, Mary, Jeremiah and Rob and
Larry.  My inclination at this point is to ask Santa for an Olympus DS2
recorder.  Is this a good choice for a beginner?  I think I remember hearing
or reading somewhere that this recorder records in WMA in stereo and DSS in
mono.  Can sound editing programs convert these two file types to MP3?

I read the specs on Sound Recorder and it sounds nice, but, it may be
overkill for what I am probably going to want to do.  How much is Sound
Forge and where can I find it?  Where can I fine wave pad or whatever it is
called and how easy is it to use?  I like the fact that Sound Recorder
sounds so accessible, but, it may be a bit like cooking a TV dinner in Julia
Child's kitchen in my hands.

I don't have a good foundation in audio terminology and I also feel I don't
have a very discerning ear.  It was interesting listening to Rob and Larry
discuss sample rates, etc., but all of that is way, way over my head.  I
didn't feel too bad though since Larry said he didn't totally grasp it
either.  I am in good company there!

Thanks for your advice and patience with someone who has no technical
expertise whatsoever when it comes to things audio.

Joni