[bct] Re: Digital Recorder for Sustained Use

  • From: Robert Carter <r-carter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:10:05 -0600

Hi List,

Bob, I would recommend the Plextalk for your situation. Check it out at www.plextalk.com

Robert Carter

At 08:47 AM 3/29/2006, you wrote:

Good Morning BCT Listers,
I have read with interest the extensive discussion on this list of many digital recorders and have a pretty good idea of which recorders many of you consider the best buy for the money and which are most usable  with the best sound quality.  I am considering the purchase of a recorder, but my needs are a little different.  I am a college teacher, researcher, and low-level administrator.  IN doing my work for years I have made extensive and regular use of tape recorders to read some books, and some internal communications within the university.  Scanners have changed the way in which I do work but because of my research as a historian and because some documents simply will not scan sufficiently well to be usable, I still make extensive use of tapes.  I'm tired of tapes and both they and recorders are passing from the scene.  I would like some advice on what kind of digital recorder would be most useful to me to record materials.  this might involve recording several hours a day occasionally and I also want something with reasonably good sound quality, substantial memory (compact flash cards etc. would be fine) and the ability to transfer files back and forth between recorder, computer, and perhaps a portable device like a Bookport.  I like the looks of the Olympus 320m for taping lectures etc but I suspect for the kind of recording I need to do something else might be preferable.  Any suggestions anyone has will be much appreciated.  I have two old General Electric tape recorders from American Printing House which I have  used for years and which still serve me well but they can't last much longer and I need to turn toward new and improved technology.  Thanks for any help.
Bob Martin