[bct] Digital Recorder for Sustained Use

  • From: Robert Martin <robert.martin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:47:17 -0600

Good Morning BCT Listers,

I have read with interest the extensive discussion on this list of many digital
recorders and have a pretty good idea of which recorders many of you consider
the best buy for the money and which are most usable  with the best sound
quality.  I am considering the purchase of a recorder, but my needs are a
little different.  I am a college teacher, researcher, and low-level
administrator.  IN doing my work for years I have made extensive and regular
use of tape recorders to read some books, and some internal communications
within the university.  Scanners have changed the way in which I do work but
because of my research as a historian and because some documents simply will
not scan sufficiently well to be usable, I still make extensive use of tapes.
I'm tired of tapes and both they and recorders are passing from the scene.  I
would like some advice on what kind of digital recorder would be most useful to
me to record materials.  this might involve recording several hours a day
occasionally and I also want something with reasonably good sound quality,
substantial memory (compact flash cards etc. would be fine) and the ability to
transfer files back and forth between recorder, computer, and perhaps a
portable device like a Bookport.  I like the looks of the Olympus 320m for
taping lectures etc but I suspect for the kind of recording I need to do
something else might be preferable.  Any suggestions anyone has will be much
appreciated.  I have two old General Electric tape recorders from American
Printing House which I have  used for years and which still serve me well but
they can't last much longer and I need to turn toward new and improved
technology.  Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Bob Martin