[bct] Re: Digital Recorder Dilemma

  • From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:33:54 -0400

I would say the ws series would be just about perfect if they hadn't
dropped the highest quality setting down to 64 kbps.  I love the design
of the usb port.  Surely there has to be something out there...

>>> maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Thursday, October 20, 2005 8:16:31 AM

Hi all,

I poked around on the Sound Professionals web site and Amazon and
couldn't find anything promising. The high-end ones on the SP site were
over $2,000; there was one for about $400 but it uses minidiscs which
defeats the whole purpose of portability. I looked at some Sony
recorders and they use memory sticks and I suspect the quality doesn't
measure up.

I noticed the lack of low-end sould on the podcasts recorded with the
WS200S, and compared that to the latest one where there's much more
frequency range; on the WS200S the cars sound like they are on a wet
street, but the Olympus and iRiver make them sound more realistic. Not
sure if that's what other people noticed or not. I may go for the WS320
anyway since I would really like the higher capacity and it doesn't make
much difference with the kind of stuff I record.

After briefly looking around, things don't look too promising. I
noticed that some companies are combining digital voice with small
cameras.

Mary