[bct] Dictionaries

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:28:48 -0500

Sam is correct about the Webster line of dictionaries. They began with Noah Webster, an evangelical minister who felt that the language needed a godly direction, so he gave it one.

There are two basic philosophies for dictionary construction. One is the Webster formula, to try and force the language to take a certain direction. The second approach is typified by the American Heritage and Oxford English dictionaries which simply report usage without laying an agenda on said usage.

Being a pagan, I have taken serious exception to the definitions of witch, witchcraft, pagan, paganism and other words in Webster dictionaries. For my money, they are not worth the paper they are printed upon.

Dan