[bct] Diabetics get kelp to dump the needle

  • From: "Phil Vlasak" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:42:14 -0500

Hi Maria,
I thought you might find this article interesting:
Diabetics get kelp to dump the needle
The Sydney Morning Herald.
Janice Stewart is injected with the insulin containing seaweed extract.
Picture: Peter Rae
By Ben Cubby
February 21, 2006

A NEW treatment for type 1 diabetes using a brown seaweed extract may
ultimately mean an end to daily injections for many of the 130,000 Australians
live with the disease.

During the first clinical trial yesterday, doctors at Sydney's Prince of Wales
Hospital injected Janice Stewart with insulin-producing cells encased in
microscopic, perforated capsules of seaweed extract.

If the trial goes as expected, many patients might have to take only one or two
injections in a lifetime, instead of several a day.

The insulin-producing cells sit in a patient's abdomen, releasing insulin but
guarded from the body's immune system by the seaweed shell. Tiny holes in
the seaweed allow insulin to enter the patient's bloodstream, and let in
nutrients to feed the cells, but are small enough to keep out antibodies.

The catch is that the insulin- producing cells must be gathered from the
pancreas of a non-diabetic organ donor who died very recently.

They must then be placed inside the seaweed microcapsules, which are only about
three-thousandths of a millimetre in diameter, a process likened to "blowing
in soap bubbles" by University of NSW researcher Professor Bernie Tuch, who is
leading the hospital research team.

"Even if we are able to get numbers of people like Janice off insulin, the
supply problem is enormous," Professor Tuch said.

"Last year, for example, there were 204 people who died and donated their
organs. There are 130,000 people like Janice in this country."

A shortage of donors means the new treatment, if successful, would be used to
supplement existing treatments, which require regular injections of anti-
rejection drugs.

Ms Stewart, 51, said she felt "fantastic" after being injected with the seaweed
microcapsules yesterday. She developed the disease 40 years ago, and has
been taking four insulin injections a day.

"If it works I think it's the best thing that's happened for diabetes since the
discovery of insulin," said Ms Stewart, who is a nurse at the hospital and
is one of six diabetics in the trial.

"At the minimum it will mean less insulin (injections) for me. Hopefully for
the kids of today who are developing diabetes at the age I did they may not
have a whole lifetime of it."

The NSW chief executive of Diabetes Australia, Liz Peers, said the organisation
supported the trials and looked forward to the results.