[bct] Re: Diabetes

  • From: Slythy_Tove <mcg907@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 16:27:51 -0800 (PST)

Hi Beth,

So far as I am aware sugar is sugar is sugar so raw cane and table sugar have
the same effect on the body.

Interestingly enough, sugar is toxic enough so that one can treat a diabetic
foot ulcer by coating it with sugar to kill the bacteria. I remember when I
worked in nursing homes back in the 70's that it was used all the time as a
poison to kill bacteria.  That is sort of terrifying when I consider how much
sugar I have consumed in my life.  By that time I was pretty much off all
simple carbohydrates except the hidden ones that are now revealed by food
labels- most of the time.

There is a great old book out on the role of sugar in mental health called
"Sugar Blues" that correlates sugar consumption and blood sugar swings with
serious depression.  I was surprised by that, but it has also been mentioned as
something to eliminate for folks with mood swings like bipolar disorder and
kids and adults with ADD/ADHD.

I used to think honey was better, but found it is worse per teaspoon than sugar
in terms of the effect on the human body.  I've sort of junked it all.  I use a
blend of various things for my odd cup of coffee, but I don't bake (can't eat
it anyway) so I don't have much of a need for sweetners except for the
grandkids.  I am now so lazy that I use mixes.  Maybe I will teach scratch
baking when I am out of law school.

And Dan tells me from his nutritional research (he can understand more than I
do with his background in public health) that fructose is the last thing you
want to use as a diabetic.

Fortunately, I prefer my tea green and without sweetening and I am more likely
to drink green tea than coffee.

I can't imagine distilled water.  I used to use it in my iron.

Slithy