[bct] Re: Dell Nightmares-- Larry's walk

  • From: "Jake Joehl" <jajoehl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 16:55:36 -0600

Hey all. I've gotta jump in here too. I've had my Dell computer now for about a year and a half and it works like a charm. My father somehow got a Dell technician to deliver a new keyboard for his computer. I think my father did this all online though, but I don't know the web address where he went. I do, however, have a tech support nightmare that happened to my roommate. This actually had a happy ending though. For quite some time my roommate's computer wouldn't boot up properly. As a matter of fact when he turned it on it kept revving like a car. But it did this over and over again, and sometimes it would shut itself off in between revving cycles. One morning when I was checking my email and my roommate was elsewhere in the apartment, I called him because I heard what sounded like a big bang that might've come from the construction outside. So he came in and discovered it was his computer. So he called Dell that morning and was put on hold for a few minutes. When a rep finally answered, my roommate described his problem and the rep transferred him to someone else, who I later found out from my roommate was a non-English speaker. My roommate is legally blind with only a little bit of sight, and this person kept telling him to look in the back of his computer at all these different wires. Despite his repeated attempts at getting them to send someone out, they wouldn't do it. So my roommate finally got a phone number from this non-English speaking representative, and my roommate called that number. He basically got the runaround there too, and what's more the certificate number he was given appeared to be incorrect or non-existent. Finally at about 8:30 PM our time, we received a call letting us know that someone would be sent out here. So within a few days that person came with a new motherboard, and my roommate's computer now works like new. But it took a whole day before the problem was even close to being solved.
----- Original Message ----- From: "J Garcia" <j.garcia235@xxxxxxxxxxx>