[bct] Re: Curious about Apple computers

  • From: Buddy Brannan <buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:48:16 -0500

You're right: not all Mac applications are accessible. Many are not, some are partially accessible. This will hpefully be changing as time goes on. Notable apps that aren't accessible though are iTunes, the iWork suite, some others. Some dialogues are a bit tricky (thinking about the print dialog here). But the things that are accessible work very well. Safari, mail, Text Edit, all work great and are easy to use.

Voiceover has a lot of potential. I think the Access World people had an axe to grind with their review, as it was only partially accurate, not well researched, and certainly showed a bias. Lots of potential. True, there's a lot of work yet to be done, but for a first effort and the short length of time it's been out, Voiceover works out pretty well. I'm using a Mac right now, in fact, and my only real complaints are that it's slow, but it's also a G3/500, so that's really no one's fault. :)

As far as iWork, I understand that the people who make Mariner Write and the accompanying spreadsheet program are going to have 100% accessibility in their next versions.

All things considered, I'm very happy with my Mac. I'd definitely buy another.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV : Independent Watkins Associate #361534
Email: buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx : Phone: 888-752-8339