[bct] Curious about Apple computers

  • From: Brian Osborne <osborne1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:33:07 -0500

Blindcooltech,

I¹m sighted and I use an Apple laptop running MacOS 10.4. My son is 8 years
old, he is blind, and he¹s getting some training on Jaws (he¹s already very
good on the BrailleNote BT, by the way). A year or so ago, as you know,
Apple came out with their Voiceover application, supposedly making any Mac
accessible since this application is supposed to speak available actions and
choices for any Mac application. Do any blind people on this list use Macs?
Does anyone have opinions on Voiceover and general accessibility of these
recent Macintoshes?

I should add that I¹ve already noticed that many applications on the Mac
aren¹t completely keyboard-accessible, meaning not all commands for a given
application are available to a blind user. It also seems to me that even the
applications that come bundled with the Mac aren¹t always completely
keyboard-accessible, particularly the more obscure ones.

Thanks again,

Brian O.