[bct] Copyrighted material

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 06:33:47 -0500

I'll speak up here as I am somewhat familiar with intellectual copyright law. There is a principle called "fair use." This allows you to use minimal amounts of copyrighted material for various purposes. When it comes to recorded music, the fair use quantity is less than 30 seconds. And, that 30 seconds must be used for a critical analysis or a demonstration of one kind or other, you cannot use even the fair use quantity just as an intro for a show or an extro at the end or bridges in the middle. The DMCa, digital milennium copyright act of 1999 makes it very clear about these things.

I do not necessarily agree with the law, but we must be very careful we do not run into the grey areas because it could impact the person who hosts the casts like Larry, the site where they are located and, of course, the poster.