[bct] Copyright Question

  • From: Tim Cross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 18:44:17 +1000

The record companies are never going to allow you to make money from
their work. If you wanted to setup a website to allow people to
download music, you would have to pay royalties for each item
downloaded.

Bottom line, when you purchase a CD, you are NOT buying the copyright
of that music, that remains with the performer or in most cases, the
record company. You are not the creator of the work and are therefore
not entitled to make money from it unless you pay royalties to the
owner of the copyright.

In Australia, copyright covers the creator of the work for 50 years
after their death. If the copyright is owned by a company, then it
probably exists for longer.

The change in law for Australia is simply to allow "fair use". The
existing law actaully makes it illegal for you to make copies of
copyright material, even if its just for your own use. The change will
alllow you to make copies for your own private use. It will not allow
you to make money or distribute copies in any way.

The law is unlikely to ever change to allow you to make money from
someone elses effort and nor should it. I'd give up your dreams of
running an 80's music website unless you want to do it illegally, in
which case, you will almost certainly get sued. This has already
happened in Australia.