[bct] Re: Copyright Question

  • From: Tim Cross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 18:18:16 +1000

The Scarlet Wombat writes:
 > 3. now, if other people, say in australia, or overseas, know it is illegal,
 > but put up their music collections from the 70s and 80s, which there are
 > heaps
 > of sites, and music downloads, what would be the rammifcations, of that
 > illegally?
 > would i be prosecuted?
 > Answer:  I'm not sure of your question here.  If you put up material that
 > is copyrighted for downloads without permission, you do open yourself up
 > for prosecution.  If you sell something to another legally and they then
 > put it up, you are not liable as the transaction between you and them was
 > perfectly legal.

It is important to note that in some countries, you don't have the
legal right to re-sell the original. There wee a lot of problems back
in the 80's for second hand record shops because of this. While they
still exist, technically, they are (or were - don't know what the
current situation is) illegal and could be prosecuted if the record
companies wanted to.

In Australia, copyright laws are changing due mainly to the fact
Australia has recently signed a trade agreement with the US. One of
the reasons the laws are going to change here is because they were a
lot more restrictive than the copyright laws in the US and the changes
are to bring them more in line with the US ones. Essentially, they are
going to allow "fair use", - for example, currently, it is actually
illegal in Australia to record TV shows on your video to watch later.
The change is designed to allow this sort of "fair use". The changes
are not designed to allow you to make a profit though.