[bct] Re: Copyright

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 20:55:15 -0500

Beth, odds are, they have a copyright on both the text and advertisement format, a well healed company would not do anything else. You can quote some of it by the fair use doctrine, but if it is not long, you would not want to quote more than 5% of it, which might not be enough.

I know, copyright laws are a pain in the arse and the spirit of the law would not be violated by your posting the entire text as you would not deprive Visa of revenue in any sense, but courts tend to be sticklers on copyright issues and I don't think they let you do email in prison.

I, by no means, support all the restrictions of the Digital Milennium Copyright Act, but whether I approve of it or not, it is useful to know the law.