[bct] Re: Commissions for the blind

  • From: "Alan Schlank" <aschlank@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 13:09:02 -0500

Hi Dan,

It has been demonstrated time and time again that separate agencies for the
blind provide us with better service than do general rehab agencies.  Some
have said that we have obtained too much, but what we have managed to get
has been done by organizing and acting together.  Yes, it would be nice if
other disability groups could have what we have, but I am not willing to
relinquish what we have gained.  When blind people become submerged within
general agencies, we become a very small minority within the disability
community and we soon lose the expertise needed for obtaining the training
necessary to let us compete effectively in the sighted world.

Alan