[bct] Commissions for the blind

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 08:27:52 -0500

We have a separate commission for the blind here in Massachusetts, too. It is very well funded, the one for persons with hearing difficulties should be half as well funded. When I was laid off a year ago and contacted them, they stumbled all over themselves giving me products and services. It is nice to see a state separate out services for the blind from the general voc rehab. However, how about all the other disabilities that are not nearly as well funded. My wife had to fight world war three to get the commission for the hard of hearing to purchase an fm wireless system for her hearing aid so she could more easily hear law school classes. It is quite possible that the fact she was in law school scared them a bit, who knows.

Though a separate commission for the blind serves me well and I am thankful for this, wouldn't it be nice to have either separate groups for each disability, or to have a truly responsive and diversified rehab agency for all comers.