[bct] Re: Comment to Lynnette on language

  • From: Slythy_Tove <mcg907@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 09:54:11 -0800 (PST)

Cheechako - newcomer - in Alaska it means one who has not spent a winter in
Alaska.  Here, I will be a perpetual cheechako because they have no real

Sourdough is a person who has spent a winter in Alaska, as well as a type of
bread which was turned sour by the trapper wearing it next to his skin to help
it rise - as well as from the sourdough starter.

Ruby is a village as well as a woman's name.

Kaltag is not a washing machine, it is a village.

Termination dust is not what it sounds like - it is the first snow of winter
which terminates summer.

Break up is when the 8 inch deep ice on the roads start breaking up and you can
tear your tire off  the rim in an ice pothole if you go too fast.

Frost heaves are not a form of flu, but they can give a road a roller coaster
effect right before the heaves become sinkholes that will swallow your car.

 Taku winds are not a form of flatus from eating too many beans, they blow warm
air into Juneau during the wintertime and can blow you down or blow windows out
of office buildings if they impact directly.

Lynnette <superlynne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:       Good heavens.  You definitely
have to learn  the lingo of the land...even though we're all speaking English.
 What is a cheechako?