[bct] Cinnamon applesauce ornaments

  • From: "Joni Colver" <joni.colver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 13:39:12 -0600

Since I can't do a podcast I wanted to share a recipe for making cinnamon
applesauce ornaments with the list.  I made these several years ago and
shared the experience on a cooking list so rather than reinvent the wheel I
will paste in my description below.

I have come across numerous recipes for making cinnamon applesauce
ornaments.  I was curious to see what might result from such a concoction so
I finally chose one of the recipes to try.  I was pleasantly surprised by
the results and thought I would share my experience in case anyone else
wants to give it a try.

Here is the recipe I used:

1 4-ounce can cinnamon

1 tablespoon ground cloves

3/4 cup applesauce

2 tablespoons Elmer's glue

Straw for making a hole for hanging

Mix the whole can of cinnamon and the cloves together in a mixing bowl.  Add
the applesauce and glue and mix with your hands until it forms a dough and
all ingredients are well incorporated; this may take about three minutes.

I cut open a paper grocery bag and placed it on my kitchen island to roll
out the dough, since the end product is inedible.  After I was finished I
just rolled up the bag and tossed it and had a nice clean island.  Parchment
paper might work well too, but the grocery bags are free.

Divide the dough into thirds or fourths and roll out each piece to 1/4 inch
thickness.  Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes.  If you want to make
ornaments, use a straw or other small round device to make a hole in the
shape for a hanging cord.  Put the cut-out shapes on wax paper on a rack to
dry.  Turn the ornaments over a couple of times until they are dry, which
may take  a day or so.  Some recipes said you can put them in a very low
oven for several hours but I just let mine air-dry.

I made bear cut-outs since the color would be brown.  They are so cute!  I
am going to look for some cord or narrow ribbon and some tiny jingle bells
to put around their necks.  Some of the recipes I saw said you could add
some glitter to the mix.  I would like to try that too, maybe with some
stars or bells.

These ornaments can hang on a Christmas tree or you can put them on a
package for decoration.  You could even give them as a small gift with a
Christmas card.    I didn't try to glue anything to the bears, but, I might
try gluing a small flat magnet from a craft store to the back to use them as
refrigerator magnets.  I think they would be fun to attach to a gift jar of
tea or coffee mix too.  They smell absolutely wonderful.  I am not gifted in
any way when it comes to crafts so it was kind of fun to make something like
this.  My teddy bear cookie cutter is about two and a half inches tall and I
got about a dozen bears out of the first batch.  By the way, the dough is
easy to work with and didn't stick to the bowl or the rolling pin.

One thing is certain, after creating my cinnamon bears yesterday, it's
definitely beginning to smell a lot like Christmas!