[bct] Re: Church

  • From: "Mike Justice" <m.d.justice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 01:11:15 -0500

Mary,

Time can heal many wounds, and understanding the hurts that others have can sometimes reduce the amount of time needed for the healing. Your situation with a pastor who apparently was feeling a lot of pressure reminded me of some of my experiences. When I finally admitted to myself in 1973, that with my sight loss I could not continue to work without some type of help, I still had a lot of struggles to overcome. I did not like the idea of being blind, and I did not like the idea of a rehab program. When I finally started winning my struggle with my own pride, I was able to benefit more from the rehab process, and to gain from the mutual support among and between others in the program with me. When I returned to work using a white cane and other adaptive tools, my handicap was more evident to inside-organization and outside-organization visitors to my office. Many times I found people open to share with me their concerns for their own progressing hearing loss, weakening eyesight, internal organ dysfunctions, etc. I believe I posed less of a threat to them if they exposed a weakness that might not be readily evident in them, since I was continuing to function despite a known deficiency. And most people would consider blindness to be more difficult to deal with than many other conditions. There are very few people (perhaps none) who have an ideal physiological, psychological, and environmental condition at any given time. And everyone we meet or know of, will eventually die for one reason or another. So, as much as possible, so far as it depends on me, I live peaceably with those around me. But my inner peace comes from knowing that by God's grace there is something better for me after this earthly life is over.

Mike Justice,
www.MPNHome.net