[bct] But I was only gone over night!

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bct" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:26:08 -0600

Well, I was unable to check my mail from dinner time last night until
now.  We were doing a bit of celebrating in that it is both Saint
Patties day and our anniversary.  So, I come back to what appears to be
chaos.By the way, this is really Neal, but then, how would you actually
prove that?

I believe Larry has taken care of future threats from this person by
removing him from the list.  Of course, the culprit has spoofed a lot of
people's email addresses, so he could be sending messages from us to
anyone on the planet.  This is not to make people paranoid, but I do
think we need to be on the lookout for any message we get that is
responding to something someone thinks we said when we actually didn't.
And, I would caution you, as others have done, not to download
everything you hear about.

So, how do you know what to download and what you should not download?
One way is to be ware of things that seem to promise the sky.  The other
thing is to not download software that says it will clean your computer
or free up space on your hard drive unless you know for sure that it is
legitimate.  Personally, I do not use any program that says it is going
to do this.  This is not because I always disbelieve the author, but
because I want to know what is actually being done to the files on my
computer, rather than having some software delete things it happens to
believe should be deleted.  I realize that there is valid software out
there that does this, but how do you know the good from the bad?  The
problem is, that if you trust software that does things like clean your
registry or delete files to make space on your computer, you must, must,
must, know that this is a legitimate application.  Do some research.
Talk to others who have used it.  Talk to your computer support people
at your internet provider company.  If you have any doubts at all, just
continue with a less clean hard drive.

I am very sorry that people have lost important material as a result of
this.  I know of one person in particular who has had this happen.
Nothing I say will bring back that material.  All I can do is offer my
sympathy.  Hopefully, we are all a bit smarter than we were this time
yesterday, and perhaps, a bit more careful.  Careful, is a good thing to
be.

Neal