[bct] Re: Braille display

  • From: "Bill Belew" <bill@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:45:12 -0800

That is amazing that you wore out a display.  I have used a     PowerBraille
40 for 14 years.  It has never had to be cleaned or serviced and every dot
and button still works perfectly.
I do think 40 characters is a good length for comfortable reading.  The
wider display can require a lot of arm movement, but there is usually a way
to limit the number of characters used.  Of course, the side very expensive
displays are really great for working with spread sheets, etc.
For a while I had a BrailleNote 18 cell notetaker and even that for me was
comfortable for reading books from web braille.  I thought it wouldn't be
too good because of the short display, but because of the positioning of the
thumb keys, it turned out to work very smoothly to read for pleasure.