[bct] Re: Braille display

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:58:19 -0800

I had a powerbraille 40 display for a half dozen years or so, and actually had
one at home and one at work, but wore them both out to where the dots weren't
worth replacing. Before that I used a Navigator 6-dot 40-cell display and had
one at home and one at work; I have a Navigator that still works, and it will
function adequately with Jaws although, since it doesn't have dots 7 and 8, you
can't tell where the cursor is; nor cqan you get the braille cells to vibrate
to indicate upper case. There are also no routing buttons on it to enable you
to position the braille cursor at a particular cell. I currently have two Pac
Mate braille displays and use one with the PC and the other with the pac mate
when the need arises; I used to use that one at work till retirement last
August. I also had a braille lite 18, and that finally bit the dust so now have
a braille lite M40 which I love and hope it lasts a very long time.

I get a bit annoyed with companies that only produce 32-cell displays or
20-cell displays since the standard web braille format for NLS books and
magazines is 40-character lines. But that's just me; it doesn't reflect my
feelings toward the companies who make such an effort to create braille devices.

Mary Emerson
Skype name: mkemerson
E-mail: maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Podcast feed: emerson.libsyn.com/rss