[bct] BookPort

  • From: "Graham Lewis" <Graham.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:17:34 +0100

Perhaps there is an APH mailing list I could post this to but it kind of
concerns Blind Cool Tech too so...

I was just listening to the podcast interview with Steve Gomas  and others on
Blind Cool Tech about the Bookport and Bookcourier.  I have had a Bookcourier
and before that a Roadrunner for some years now and I don't know what I would
do without it now.  It is absolutely integrated into my life and work.

I keep one ear on the Bookcourier mailing list but knew little about the
Bookport except that it was a competing and similar device.

I was just a little dismayed, therefore, to hear Steve say that the Bookcourier
is aimed at those with learning disabilities.  Not because I object to being
classidified as learning disabled; I realise that the Bookcourier can be of
immense use to some folk with dyslexia for istance.

What I really want to know though is have I hitched my wagon the right chicken
here?    Where is future development going to focus?  Are they going to work in
parallel or is all future development going with the Bookport?

I sent the above message to the Bookcourier mailing list to see if Spronger
could clear this up and am told that Bookport is not available in the UK anyway
so we really have not got the choice.

So why is it only Bookcourier that is provided in the UK?  I guess I could
order a Bookport directly from APH if I wanted to right?

Graham Lewis
Centre for Academic Practice
University of Warwick
University House