[bct] Re: Book port questions

  • From: Dean Martineau <dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 08:17:17 -0800

Hi, Bill.  I'll answer a couple of your questions.

Book Port doesn't itself do variable speed or compression of audio files. You achieve that using the transfer software. Doing this slows down the transfers and makes for inflexibility, that is, when you're listening to something, you can't change the playback speed if you need to, but at least it is a good start.

You have to use the transfer software to transfer RFB&D books, in order to preserve copy protection.

I'll be interested to know if APH will allow some sort of conversion option from Book Port 1 to the upcoming Book Port 2, but as it will be different hardware, there will doubtless be significant, if not total replacement cost to get Book Port 2 when it comes out.

Even with its current limitations, the Book Port is a great device.

Dean