[bct] Re: Book Port and Podcasts

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:35:55 -0600

Steve, the reason the bookport transfer is slower than simply copying
the file to the bookport as a drive is that the software is possibly
doing things like speeding up the sound, taking pauses out of spoken
word files, making it possible to skip to logical breaks in the spoken
word file, etc.  You have some control over what the transfer software
does.  It is slower, but it can be nice depending on how you want to
listen to the file you have on the bookport.  One thing you will find is
that the left and right audio channels are reversed.  This will be
changed in the new hardware at some point.  I have also found that
really loud files are sometimes distorted in the bookport, but they have
to be quite loud before this happens.  In other words, you can have a
really loud audio file, which is recorded just under the distortion
level and it might be distorted on the bookport.  Depending on the kind
of music you listen to, you may not even notice this.