[bct] Bonfire Night

  • From: <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bct" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:07:18 -0800

Hi Donna and everyone,

That podcast sounded wonderful with all the fireworks. We used to have a lot of
them here on Independence day, and New Year's Eve, but they are not legal due
to the fire danger, so most people go to public exhibits. The exhibits even
have local symphonies playing background music and an audio narration and the
people doing the shows are professionals with explosives so they can do a lot
with colors and can actually create all sorts of visual effects in the sky. Due
to the dry summers here in California, it's against the law to have private
fireworks, but when I was a child we had a lot of them although the sales were
restricted. Some how though, somebody always knew where the not-so-preferred
ones were sold.

On New Year's Eve it also used to be quite noisy, but it's gotten much quieter;
even at the turn of the century it was very quiet although there were public
displays. People would wrap up in coats and scarves and go out and watch; it
was also covered on radio and TV. One year it was so quiet here that somebody
couldn't stand the quiet, so at midnight she went out to one of the main areas
here and screamed for five minutes! It was rather funny and it woke me up from
a sound sleep! It woke up the neighbors too, and there was a mad scramble of
people opening windows to see what was going on.

Halloween also used to be a lot more fun; these days there are very few
children going door to door doing "trick or treating" and collecting candy; I
think the trend is more towards small gatherings and parties, where things are
much more supervised. Times have certainly changed.

I hope that in other places things are a bit more lively.

Mary