[bct] Re: Beyond microphones

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:58:19 -0500

I agree that content is paramount, but I must also suggest that quality has a proper place. If there is too much noise, if the highs or preemphasis are too strong, if there are pops and clicks or breath sounds, it detracts from the content. If the purpose is to convey the content, and I believe it is, then it should be as transparent as we can make it. Whether you use an old reel to reel and a cheap Radio Shack mike or a SD 722 and Rhode NT4, you can learn to produce a podcast that will emphasize the content and minimize sonic errors that would detract from it.