[bct] Re: Backups

  • From: "Kelly Pierce" <kellyjosef@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 15:27:10 -0500

I considered file compression. I didn't include it in my article because I wanted to present a successful solution and not confuse readers with rejected alternatives.

the trouble with compressing data and files is that they need to be uncompressed when access is desired. with my method, a user can be up and running at another location without needing to install uncompression software on systems to access files.

in the event of a disaster, such as the hurricanes on the gulf coast or a wildfire where someone is away from their home for an extended period, an uncompressed hard drive allows for instant access from someone else's system. I felt much unease when I heard about all the artists, writers, and poets in new Orleans who lost lifetimes of creative work because their backup system used an internal hard drive or was not portable.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Matzura" <number6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>