[bct] Re: Backups

  • From: Steve Matzura <number6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 14:06:20 -0400

Hi again, Mary:

On Sat, 20 May 2006 06:10:20 -0700, you wrote:

>Thanks for your interesting post about backing up.
>I am an optacon user, so I have an advantage because I can rebuild a system
>and read the screen directly when necessary, and have done it numerous

I have tried, but the print is usually too small for me to do that.

>File compression: I just don't trust compression software, for some of the
>reasons you mention. It's much easier to run synchromagic and get a preview
>of what will happen (or forget the preview if I am sure what will happen)
>when the disk is mirrored. I guess I am a bit old-fashioned in this regard;
>I like to see individual files getting added or deleted or moved.

Agreed.  Now with the cost of large disks, it almost doesn't matter
about the compression thing. But when Jaz drives were big, well, at
ninety bucks throw, that was a very different ball game.

>Drive imagers: I have had rotten luck with these. Also, quite often these
>days, the hard drive that comes with a new PC has been pre-fitted with
>Windows, and there is no Windows CD included with the PC; the Windows on the
>hard drive is often an OEM version, pre-configured by the manufacturer to
>install when the PC is turned on for the first time. When you get a new hard
>drive, this most likely isn't the case especially if you  got it from a
>local source. So, i'm not sure a drive image program would set up a new
>drive as the old one was set up.

Drive imagers do just what they say they'll do--namely, make an image
copy of your disk's contents, no matter what they are.  I've
successfully re-imaged many systems that have come pre-installed with
Windows and other software just for the reason you mentioned--namely,
no CD's for rebuilding were included in the package, so I had to
create my own.  So far, I'm three for three.  It's one of the first
things I do after installing speech and getting the system set up the
way I want it is to image the drive and then test it.  If I can't
re-image it, I complain to the manufacturer and they do something
about it.  Once it cost me some serious money--about fifty dollars--to
ship the machine back for re-imaging, but I'll never deal with that
company again. The big three--Dell, HP/Compaq and Gateway--are usually
very good about providing restore disks.  The thing about restore
disks is, they take you back a little too far, since before you
customized or installed any of your own stuff.

>Just a few thoughts from a nit-picky user

Oh, trust me, they don't come much nittier and pickier than me! <grin>
I know exactly what you're on about.