[bct] Re: Backups

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 06:10:20 -0700

Thanks for your interesting post about backing up.

I am an optacon user, so I have an advantage because I can rebuild a system and read the screen directly when necessary, and have done it numerous times.

File compression: I just don't trust compression software, for some of the reasons you mention. It's much easier to run synchromagic and get a preview of what will happen (or forget the preview if I am sure what will happen) when the disk is mirrored. I guess I am a bit old-fashioned in this regard; I like to see individual files getting added or deleted or moved.

Drive imagers: I have had rotten luck with these. Also, quite often these days, the hard drive that comes with a new PC has been pre-fitted with Windows, and there is no Windows CD included with the PC; the Windows on the hard drive is often an OEM version, pre-configured by the manufacturer to install when the PC is turned on for the first time. When you get a new hard drive, this most likely isn't the case especially if you got it from a local source. So, i'm not sure a drive image program would set up a new drive as the old one was set up.

Just a few thoughts from a nit-picky user

Mary Emerson
E-mail: maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype name: mkemerson
Podcast feed: emerson.libsyn.com/rss