[bct] Asking questions

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 07:03:22 -0500

Riz, I do not believe anyone here has suggested that there not be questions, even the most elementary of questions. The idea of a FAQ serves several purposes. It does provide a starting place for the beginner and, possibly, even the advanced user of the various technologies we discuss here.

In addition, it serves to point out things that may need to be added or even removed.

It used to be in the Unix world that the acronym was used, RTFM, it meant read the frikking manual. I do not want to see that kind of attitude here. At the same time, a well constructed set of FAQs and short write-ups can help a beginner learn a little and, perhaps, form more cogent and directed questions. Often, a beginner doesn't even know which questions to ask.

When I started learning about podcasts, I knew how to make audio files, but had no clue as to how to turn them into a podcast. I was so out of that loop I did not even know what to ask about, and hence, never got good advice because I did not ask correctly. A FAQ with simple, easy to follow, steps 1, 2, 3 and such on how to make a podcast would be invaluable.

The point is not to tell people they cannot ask questions, but to offer them the opportunity to read or listen to some material so they can be better prepared to ask more meaningful questions.