[bct] Archiving very old cassette recordings

  • From: Mike Busboom <lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:10:56 +0100

I have many cassette tapes that are over thirty years old, and I want to digitally archive them. Since I only want to archive them for now and do the postprocessing work later, I am wondering what people would recommend in terms of format, sampling rate, etc. Most of the recordings were done on an old Sony monaural recorder. Some of the recordings of radio stations were done using a patchcord, but still monaural. Could I get buy with recording everything in MP3, perhaps at 192 KBPS and 32kHz mono sampling? Like I said, the originals aren't high quality, but I'd still like to enjoy the digitized copies of them for years to come. I will store the archives on DVDs.

Thanks for any thoughts, Mike