[bct] Re: Anyone Got The Urge?

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 14:56:10 -0400

Hi. I am using Jaws 7, not the beta, so my comments are based on that. Some window reclassing would probably make this process easier to handle, but I haven't even attempted that yet. Here's what I SEE SO FAR.

With the Urge software, you actually have 3 components. At the top of the screen is a navigation area for the various functions of Media Player. It's a little busy up there, so you can choose to hide it if you wish. I don't, as there are some useful features in that section. Anyhow, the second component is an imbedded IE browser window that contains the Urge web content. If you use your Jaws cursor and left click once in that area, you'll get the virtual buffer and can read the album reviews and such. Below that and to the left of the screen is a list view area where song titles are displayed. Again, using your Jaws cursor, left click once on one of the song titles in that list. You'll then have a traditional list view that you can move up and down in with your PC cursor just like a normal file list. Right clicking on a title will bring up a menu from which you can play, download, buy, and send songs to friends in email. So to buy a song, you right click on one of these titles and choose the buy option. Since I don't buy tracks individually, I can't say what the resulting screen for buying a song will look like. My guess is that you'd use your Jaws cursor and click in that center window so you can use the virtual cursor to fill out the form with your payment details. Once you buy or download a song, it's added to your media library in Media Player, and you can play it as you would any other song IN THE LIBRARY. Also, when you do a search in Media Player, and you have an URGE ACCOUNT< THE SEARCH WILL SHOW YOU @ DIFFERENT SETS OF RESULTS> One is from your local collection of songs, and the other shows you what's available on Urge. This is how a music service should work. (grin)

Because this is beta software, I have noticed a slight sluggishness when arrowing through a long list of titles. I think this is due to the fact that MP 11 displays album art. I'm going to try turning that off this afternoon and see if that helps. The sound quality really is quite good, and it's worth taking some time to learn to use the software.

I hope this has been helpful to you. If you have questions, you can email me here or off-list, or you can Skype me with rhyami as the user name. Just please let me know you're from BCT when you add me to your user list so I'll know you're not some weird spammer who wants to send me links to porno sites. I've had too many of those offers lately. (grimace)

Visit my blog at: http://plumlipstick.livejournal.com