[bct] Re: Any Experiences with ultra sonic proximity detectors for mobility?

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 12:16:51 -0800

Lucas,

Welcome to the list! During my work life, my group worked with Swiss Bank on a project to build some software that allowed conversion from one data base system to another; the people were very nice, and a few even came here to the U.S.A. At least one of the people in my group went to Switzerland and had a very pleasant experience there, in addition to the work that needed to be done.

As far as sonic devices are concerned, I purchased a Mowat sensor, which is no longer manufactured; but I still have it and use it quite a lot. It was a bit like the sonic guide that you describe, but you hold it in one hand and move it back and forth in front of you, like shining a light. It vibrates, much as the devices you describe will vibrate as you get closer to objects in your path. I still have a Mowat sensor that works well, and I wish it was still being manufactured. I can not hear on one side, and I have found this device to work so well for me. It is great when it alerts me to approaching objects or cars on my bad side, and has prevented me from running into things in my path. And, since it vibrates, it is not a distraction because the sound is very quiet.

Mary Emerson
E-mail: maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype name: mkemerson
Podcast feed: emerson.libsyn.com/rss