[bct] Answers I sent to Steve

  • From: "Dana Niswonger" <dniswonger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:01:28 -0600

Hi Friends:
Below is the text of a message I sent to Steve off the list, thought you might
like to read.
Hi Steve:
I have given your questions some thought.  Recently, my wife's cousin allowed
us to keep her children for a weekend.  We love children and do not have any
of our own although we have been married 23 years.  One of my best memories
came when we all took a shopping trip through Wal-Mart.  The children, an 8
year young girl and a 5 year young boy, both wanted to guide me as this was
there first direct experience with a blind person.  I allowed them to do this
with one rule, they were to hold my hands and not let go.  I am so crime
conscious that even with my wife along I was concerned with there safety.  The
three of us had a wonderful time exploring the store by touching and shaking
things to determine what they are.  The children loved it and still speak
of this today when we talk on the phone.  My wife followed us and I wish I had
taken the recorder as this would have made a great pod cast segment.  I
am afraid that in light of what I have just mentioned, I would not recommend
using children as sighted guides unless another adult is around to observe.
 The thought of something unexpected happening just scares me to death.  When I
worked as the student advisor at the Braille Institute I was ask if I would
like to take a 9 year young girl for an ice cream by her mother.  When I
declined, she wanted to know why and I explained what I have just told you but
I don't think she liked my answer.  If you feel the same way, I understand.
Regarding voice recognition, I find it hard in Church or a meeting already
started to identify voices myself.  I like Larry's approach as I guess it is
better to make the mistake of calling them someone else rather than not taking
a shot at identifying them at all by asking "Whose this?".  I too wish there
was a good place to learn all this accessible pod casting stuff as I am starting
one of my own December first.  Not at all sure what I'm doing but I'm going in
anyway.  I have developed a concept for an, as yet, unexplored area in this
field.  I am still trying to figure out the differences in a feed and a file
download.  I understand where and how much it costs to do these things but
don't quite yet understand the theories.  I hope you will give me a listen, I
will post the feed link on the list when I start it up and have tested it
thoroughly.  Take care and thanks for being willing to share.
Dana Paul Niswonger
Honestly imperfect.
Living Life to It's Fullness