[bct] Another way to bring efficiency to the list

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bct" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:45:53 -0600

I have an idea for another way to make it easier for people to decide
which messages to open and which to delete.  However, it may be way too
complicated to pull off and keep track of.

I do like the fact that we can all teas each other and make silly
remarks.  However, if I were on this list to find out about podcasting,
I can see that I might get slightly annoyed at having to open all of the
messages that have nothing to do with podcasting.  So, here is my
suggestion.

If someone wants to write a message about chocolate, for example, and
there has not been a podcast on chocolate about which the sender is
commenting, one could put a number sign in front of the subject line as
follows.  #chocolate.
That seems like an easy thing to do and it would alert people that this
message is more or less off the subject of an existing podcast.  Now,
here is where the trouble starts.  What if I want to reply to a message
about, say, the Kurzweil, about which there has been a podcast.  But,
lets say that I simply want to say something like, "That certainly is a
complicated beast."  That message, while keeping with the general
friendly tone of the list does not shed much if any light on the
subject.  So, once again, I would put a number sign in front of the
subject to let people know that I am not saying anything to really
increase the knowledge of the list members.  People who didn't want to
read this message could delete it and know that they had not missed
anything.  If someone simply wanted to add to the teasing tone of the
message, they could reply to it and it would still have the number sign
in front of it.  If, on the other hand, people wanted to add something
of substance about the Kurzweil, they would delete this message and
reply to a former one with the same subject but without the number sign.

Now, this seems like a lot of trouble to go to in order to allow the
same kind of list tone we have managed to arrive at, but for people who
get as many messages as some on this list, I think it would really help.

I'm not going to try to apply this as a list rule at this point.  I
would like to hear what people think.  Perhaps someone will come up with
a better strategy.  One of the problems with my proposed strategy is
that new members to the list will not understand what this is all about.
Of course, I could draft something to send to new members, but I don't
think that every new member always announces himself or herself on the
list.  They simply read what is going on and no one knows they are
there.  Thus, they would be totally unaware of the logic behind this
suggestion.

So, there you have it.  What do people think?  Put on your thinking caps
and come up with an even better strategy because it would be nice to
have both a list that really informs people and one which allows some
social interaction among list friends.

I'll be waiting for your suggestions.

Neal