[bct] Re: Another dumb question

  • From: "Bill Belew" <bill@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 12:07:48 -0800

Rick, I don't know if you should learn braille, but I do think that it is a
very useful skill to have and it isn't as hard to learn as people think.
Braille is a very simple code and probably far easier to learn than a screen
reader.  Of course, some folks barrier is sensitivity in their fingers.
I don't think you would need to pay anyone to teach you braille.  You can
easily learn and understand how the code works and, after that, it mostly a
matter of finding ways to practice.  Having a note taker that at least uses
a braille input keyboard can give you the ability to enter braille and get
instant feedback as to whether you pressed the right keys.
Braille is definitely not dying out.  Refreshable braille has made braille
much more available, even with the incredibly high prices for the hardware.
Eventually, I think breakthroughs will happen that will bring the cost of
refreshable braille down.
Fortunately, a blind person can get along these days without knowing
braille, but braille is certainly one of the more powerful tools that a
blind person can have in the toolkit.