[bct] Re: Another dumb question

  • From: "Joni Colver" <joni.colver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 14:01:49 -0600

Rick I don't think it is crucial for an adult who has lost their sight to
learn Braille.  However, if for some reason you wish to learn it then I
don't think you are too old or that it would be a waste of time.  It depends
on how useful you think it would be and your time priorities.  I am glad
that I learned it but I learned it when I was about 13 years old.

The Hadley School probably has a course to teach it.  But, in order to write
in Braille you will either have to buy a Braille writer which new costs in
excess of $600 or learn to use a slate and stylus.  With a slate and stylus
you write the letters backwards.

If you want to check out the Hadley School visit:

I would encourage you to look into learning it if your desire to do so is
strong.  Otherwise there are lots of alternatives to labeling and keeping
track of data.  Also, there are no dumb questions.  I say that as one who
has occasionally cringed when hitting the send button myself.  Smile!  We
are all on the same journey here, just at different points along the path.
You are among friends.