[bct] Re: Another dumb question

  • From: "Marsha Macchi" <marshamac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 11:58:57 -0800

Hi, Marsha here.  I do believe you should use it as to do so also keeps that
knowledge of reading up to snuff.  Also, you don't have a lot of equipment to
bring with you when you want to read a book on the go and you don't have to pay
megabucks to get that kind of mechanism.
It is also known that those who learn Braille are more employable than those
who don't.  Just as sighted people still use pen and payer, the Braille is the
best and truest means of literacy one can have and is good for when the
computer craps out.
As for the case worker saying that at 42 one would be too older to learn
Braille, I say bull.  I have known of several blind people who have learned
Braille at that age and older and have been pretty good at it.  It all depends
on what motivation you bring to the table when you go to learn it.  It depends
on how much you want to devote to practicing it and, like any skill, you have
to practice it to get good at it.
Also, there is the Hadley School for the Blind which has distant learning
courses and one of them is Braille.  The courses are free to blind and visually
impaired people.
Should you have questions, you can email me at marshamac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Marsha