[bct] Re: Another dumb question

  • From: "Curt" <catucker24@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 14:47:57 -0600

It will be to your advantage to learn Braille.  I am 52 and although I
took the braille training at voc rehab I didn't use it much until a few
years ago.  I am a slow reader so I use it more for notes instead of
reading books.  If you want to learn it, you can, it is like anything
else you do.  I was told by the braille instructor that   if you didn't
learn it as a child that you wouldn't be effective with it as an adult,
but I know it is helpful to know.
However, I don't think that knowing braille makes you more employable,
rather your job skills and determination.  Many careers these days
involve the use of a computerand when the computer is down the sighted
folks can't work either.
I would recommend talking to the supervisor at the rehab and tell them
you want a class in braille, if you don't want to do that, take a course
with hadley.  You can learn the basics with a slate and stylus.  After
you  learn the basics, subscribe to the Matilda zZeigler Magaxzine, in
braille, it is free and it will help you to practice reading.
Good luck,
Curt & Faith (the fabulous guide dog)