[bct] Re: Animal Park

  • From: "Kristian Whawell" <kwhawell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:50:14 -0000

Hi riz, rockbox is a program that you put on the archos jukebox recorders and now the iriver h100 and h300 series music player recorders, it essentially replaces the in built firmware with it's own interface, which the developers have developed voice files for, it is essentially a way to get these players to speak, there by making them accesible, some of what the player says is spelled out because of the way the speech is implemented, because the player doesn't use synthasised speech, it uses recorded speech snippits to voice content to you, for example because the menu system in rock box never changes, the programmers have recorded the menu names completely so that if you go in general the player will say general, if you go to your mp3 files and you have a file called dance.mp3, the player will say D, A, N, C, E, dot, M, P, 3. because it doesn't have a pre recorded word for it, however you can make voice clips some how that you put in with your files that will play instead of the player spelling out the words, basicly rockbox makes a mainstreem player that can run it usable by us, it's a pretty exciting development, and I will be reviewing this gem of a program soon for blind cool tech.

it does a bit more but I will be reviewing it's features on the H340 soon.