  From: Phil Vlasak
  To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, 12 December, 2005 10:43 PM
  Subject: [bct] Amazing Amanda Interactive Baby Doll

  Amazing Amanda Interactive Baby Doll
  I was interested in Donna's doll and copied a few web pages of information on
the doll below.

  12/11/2005 by Donna Slater
  Donna discusses and demonstrates this doll she wishes we had when she was a
young blind child. 10.7 MB
  This is the link for the demo file,

http://www.archive.org/download/LarrySkutchanbct266AmazingAmandaDemo/bct266AmazingAmandaDemo.mp3

  Toys"R"Us Price:  $109.99
  Wal-Mart Price: $89.97

  Interactive large Amazing Amanda doll utilizes voice recognition, sensory
technology and articulated animatronics
  Dressed in a pink floral jumper and striped shirt, Amazing Amanda speaks when
getting potty trained and pretends to eat her food
  Includes a change of outfits and 14 accessories such as potty, toothbrush,
toddler dish, brush, 6 servings of play food, and three spoons

  Size: 18High x 3-3/4Wide x 9Long"
  4 C batteries required.

  Amazing Amanda has voice recognition, sensory technology and articulated
anima-tronics to offer the most complete and revolutionary nurturing play. She
  comes with a variety of accessories to which she reacts in an intelligent
manner - recognizing what each item is.

  In short, this is an amazing doll. In many ways she is like a little person
for my daughter to care of. She has a distinct personality and a lot of fun
  play. My daughter has played with her for hours and she still says new things!

  I think the previous bad review may have been related to the age of the
child, which was four. The box says five and up. As far as the reliability of
the
  speech recognition, my own daughter can get the doll to work almost all the
time. Granted my daughter is seven and has a clear voice. I would NOT recommend
  this toy to anyone whose daughter has a speech impediment or is a soft
talker. (Of course the doll might teach your daughter how to speak louder, which
  may be a plus.)

  Also it states clearly in the instructions that you need to be in a QUIET
room, which really is a no-brainer for a product like this. Anyone who has used
  cell phones or other speech-recognition products knows the drill. Kids
however (especially very young ones) dont. So you do have to teach them a bit.

  So how does she play? Well the setup is a bit of a pain. You have to set her
time and date, and then Amanda  asks for your daughter (who she calls Mommy) to
say her name a few times
  so Amanda  can learn your daughter's voice. Then she teaches your daughter
how to play with her.

  Here are some of the things I've seen her do:
  - ask for and go potty. (This is funny and a bit gross. As a man I don't get
it but my daughter loves it.)
  - eat. (You feed her all kinds of food, which she knows when you put it in
her mouth. Feed her the wrong thing and she knows and comments about it.)
  - play games. (She sings and plays some animal sounds game. Pretty cute.)
  - get sick. (you hug her to make her feel better)

  She also knows the general time of day, and the holidays, and has things to
say about that, too. Another thing is her face is pretty expressive. She will
  actually pout and put on a sad face in some situations. Her eyebrows move too.

  What I can't get over is all you get for the price. For basically the cost of
two high-end dolls that do nothing, you get a doll that is almost alive. This
  is so much more interactive.

  recommended age: 4 - 8 years

  Advanced voice recognition, sensory response and animatronics technologies
enable lifelike interaction
  Amazing Amanda learns to recognize her "mommy's" voice
  She also recognizes objects such as her outfits, toothbrush, sippy cup,
various foods and her potty
  She expresses real emotions, such as smiling when happy or pouting when told
'no'
  She engages in two-way communication with realistic facial expressions and
toddler-speak
  She can go "potty" and can even be used to promote potty training
  She keeps track of date and time, and offers reminders of upcoming holidays
  She has an internal clock which can be used as a lovable alarm clock, and may
help establish a normal sleeping and waking schedule for your child
  Comes with accessories, pretend food, outfits and more
  She stands 18 inches tall
  Other Similar Items:

  Amazing Amanda Doll - Ethnic

  company press release
  Amazing Amanda speaks, eats, responds to objects, recognizes her 'Mommy' and
shows emotions. Her realistic facial expressions and sounds [combine] with
  her ability to intelligently respond to stimuli and her mommy's voice. Amanda
can respond and recognize her own outfits; toothbrush; food and beverages
  such as juice in a sippy cup, a sandwich, cookie; and even her own potty. she
knows what day and time it is, and can remind her Mommy about upcoming holiday's
  including Christmas, Mother's Day and Valentine's Day..Amazing Amanda will
respond with words, sounds and expressions to indicate if she wants to eat.
When Amanda
  receives something she doesn't want, such as the wrong food or if her Mommy
says 'no,' she demonstrates the sounds, expressions and emotions a young toddler
  would, simulating the closest thing to a real mother and child interactive
experience.

  From WiredIssue 13.12 -
  December 2005
  She's Alive!
  By Patrick Di Justo

  PLAYMATES TOYS INTERACTIVE DOLL
  Amazing Amanda really is amazing: She talks, senses, and understandsthe world
around her far better than many toddlers. She speaks English in charmingly
  not-quite-grammatical sentences. She tells time and adjusts for daylight
savings. She identifies what she's wearing and complains if she doesn't like it.
  Best of all, she comes toilet trained. Amanda can do all this and more with
just 32 megabits of memory. While her repertoire of actions is limited and
  repetitious (and, really, what kid's isn't?), what she can do is so realistic
it's scary.
  Amazing Amanda: $100 (ages 4 and up),
  www.playmatestoys.com

  Voice recognition
  After a brief setup of her clock and calendar, Amanda establishes who her
"mommy" is (using voice rec to remember her primary caregiver) and can
understand
  50 spoken words. Her comprehension isn't perfect - several times Amanda
failed to identify my baritone voice as Mommy. But she did politely offer to
play
  with me until Mommy came back.

  Microactuators
  In addition to singing and making animal noises (oink!), Amanda plays Funny
Face. She announces an emotion, such as sadness, and microactuators in her face
  contort her features into approximations of that feeling. The faces are
coupled with appropriate sounds. (Sorry, no real tears - the instruction manual
  warns that Amanda is, uh, allergic to water.)

  RFIDs
  Amanda's plastic food (included) is embedded with RFIDs. If she asks for a
cookie and you serve her spaghetti, she protests. RFID sensors in her neck tell
  her what she has on (additional outfits available this spring); sensors in
her rear alert her when she's on the potty (included); and sensors in her scalp
  remind her that you're brushing her hair, which she loves.

  "Playmates has always been a leader in incorporating the latest technology
into toys," said Nancy Goldblum, Vice President of
  Marketing at Playmates Toys. "Now we've raised the bar on doll play with
remarkably realistic eye movements and sound effects that react to how a child
plays with and nurtures her doll,"