[bct] Re: Alaska

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:50:51 -0800

Hi everyone,

I just finished a book about an American who walked through Tibet with a bunch
of mountain climbers; they climbed Everest, but he continued on his way across
China. He said the Tibetan food was really awful, but they had to eat it
because there was nothing else around. Needless to say, he lost a lot of weight
living on the food he brought with him. He finally left Tibet and walked across
China; for a short time he escaped his government-assigned Chinese escort and
went to a fishing village and had one of the best meals of his life; then they
kicked him out because the government caught up with him and he had to leave.
Fortunately they didn't punish him, just gave him a real scolding and he was so
close to the end of his stay that they just let him leave. Talk about living
dangerously! The book is by Peter Jenkins and is called Across China; he wrote
some interesting books, including my favorite about all the animals on his
farm. These books are about 20 years old though, so your NLS library may not be
able to dig them up too easily but they are worth it. They are on tape.

Mary