[bct] Acronyms and profanity birds of a different hue

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 17:44:07 -0400

Pam, I was not going to reply to your comment, but upon reflection, I believe I will.

The issues of using acronyms, emoticons and profanity or sexual topics are dissimilar.

The acronyms and emoticons make it difficult for people often to understand what is being said, as we saw right here. On the other hand, when a person uses what is called profanity, or language that is not looked upon with favor on some lists, there is little doubt as to their meaning. An example with asterisks will be instructive. I can say that so and so is an idiot, and that conveys a meaning. If I say so and so is a ****ing idiot, there will be no doubt whatever of my meaning.

One issue is that of sound communication...beings as we tend to communicate about sound. The other is about words, phrases and topics that some find offensive. The two really are not related, hence my feeling I needed to respond to your note.