[bct] Re: Accessible dvd player

  • From: "boomerdad" <boomerdad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:05:11 -0800

MessageWell, I've had about five DVD players since the format was launched in
'97, and it's been my experience that any DVD players are usable by a blind
person.  Now, there's no DVD where you don't need to read menus, because a DVD
movie is basically a piece of software, and each DVD has its own menus--which
is why an accessable DVD player is such a difficult achievement.  You'd
essentially have to have a screenreader in the player, and then have it capable
of reading letters in whatever font the menus were made with.

I recommend getting a DVD player with a remote that has its buttons sectioned
off, if you will--particularly the arrow keys.  Most are like this, and it
makes using the remote easy once you memorize the layout.  99% of the time,
when a menu starts to play, if you just hit Enter, the movie will begin.
Finding extras and such can take some trial-and-error navigating with your
remote if you have no sighted assistance, but it's doable.  I've only had one
or two cases where I absolutely couldn't access content without sighted
assistance, and I own over 350 DVDs, and have rented many more.

Hope this helps.

Feel the power...
Wield the magic!...
Gaming at the speed of sound!