[bct] Re: ACB radio announcements, time to move on

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:01:25 -0600

Sam, OK, thanks for the feedback.  The two most accessible recorders are
the Olympus and the Milestone.  Neither of them are radio quality and
neither record wav files.  There are a couple others that might work.
There is the MicroTrack recorder which I reviewed on the podcast site.
I gave it a negative review because it had a lot of problems at the
time, but they have come a long way toward making it more stable and by
making the menus not wrap.  No, they don't talk or beep or anything like
that, but this is a recorder Larry uses a lot so perhaps he could jump
in and give us his comments.  It sells for $379.

There will be a new Edirol recorder coming out next month.  It is the
Edirol R9.  We don't know how accessible it is, but I am on the list to
get one and will be doing a podcast when I get it.  There is also the
Edirol R1 which a number of people on this list use.  Again, it doesn't
speak or beep or anything like that, but it is quite easy to use.  Rob
did a review of it a number of months ago.  It is still up on the BCT
web site.  Perhaps he can give us some feedback, but I don't think he is
on the list unless he is being very quiet.  I believe the r1 sells for
$400 plus a bit but I don't know the exact price.

There are a couple Marantz recorders which actually have physical
buttons rather than menus.  I will have to research their numbers and
see if they are still being made.  They are somewhat larger and more
expensive, somewhere in the $600 range.

All of these recorders except for the Olympus and the Milestone will
record wav files.  I don't think you will find their mike pre-amps all
that quiet, but I believe the MicroTrack has a digital input and you
could get a mike pre-amp like the M-audio 2496 which has very nice specs
and a digital output.

Then, of course, there is the ridiculously expensive recorder Dan has.
Actually, mine costs more than his, but it's pick on Dan day.  It is the
choice of places like the BBC, NPR, nature sound scapes people, and on
location recording engineers.  It is the Sound Devices recorder that
sells for about $2200 for the two track version.  While it is not
accessible, it's menus do not rap and there are lots of shortcut keys to
do things that need doing often so one doesn't always have to go into
the menus.

I can certainly give you contact information for these if you're
interested.

And, perhaps someone on the list will think of something else.

Good luck, and don't worry about asking more questions.  I and others
will be happy to try to help.

Neal