[bct] A very very strange podcast

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bct" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:15:11 -0600

OK folks, here is the deal.  I have been asked to take part in a very
interesting experiment.  I'm going to see if they will let me record it,
but maybe they won't.  Here is what it is about.
Here at the University of Wisconsin, they are doing an experiment in
which they connect electrodes to a persons head and monitor brain
activities.  Oh dear, I may have flunked already.  They then show the
subject a display with a bar which can move up and down on the display.
They then give people suggestions like raising their hand or thinking
tall, etc.  The question is, can people actually think something that
causes the bar to move up the front of the display.  Believe it or not,
people have been able to do this.  In other words, by thinking a
physical object to move, they can actually move the object.  So, My
former boss at Trace was talking to them about me.  He wondered if the
experiment could be arranged so that instead of my seeing the bar, I
would hear musical tones.  One tone would bounce back and forth between
the top and the bottom of the display, probably one octave apart in
pitch.  The other tone would sound the placement of the bar on the
display.  So, If I am able to move the bar, I would hear its tone
increase and if I moved it to the very top, the tone of the bar would
match the tone of the top of the display.
So, I figure that if I can play "Twinkle, Twinkle little Star" with the
bar, that would be my talent for the talent show.  Unfortunately, it's
not going to happen for a month or so, so I think I will miss the

And isn't technology amazing?

Neal Ewers
Ravenswood Productions
Local phone:  608-277-1995