mp3 player ponderings.

  • From: "Kevin Reeves" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "talk2" <talk2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "midi Mag" <midimag@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "NFB CS" <nfbcs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 04:02:01 -0500

Hey folks. I'm now at a point where  I'm ready to buy an mp3 player. I pretty
much know what I'm looking for, but am finding some problems with making the
right decision. Maybe you guys have a suggestion I haven't yet thought of.
Below is my ponderings.

Firstly, I was  trying to decide whether or not I wanted a device that was an
all in 1 player/recorder. Go with a player with a huge hard drive as well as a
quality stereo line input, or get a killer large capacity player, then buy one
of the many popular high quality flash recorders. I was pointed to an excelent
all in 1, which was the iRiver h140. It could run rockbox, which would add the
needed accessibility. In searching them on line, I couldn't find anywhere to
purchase it. After posting to the lists, I was told that these players were
discontinued, and the nmewer iRivers pretty much sucked as recorders. So here's
the question. Is the iRiver h140 the best in it's class, or is there something
else that is rockboxable, large capacity, and with the ability to record in
stereo at high quality? I know that rockbox  can be put on an iPod, but iPods
can't record natively, and I don't like the idea of not being able to just use
windows explorer to drag files on and off. If anyone has any ideas on a product
that I'm not thinking of, let me know. It's greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.