Re: WINDOWS OR MAC? APPLE SAYS BOTH

  • From: Steve Holmes <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:24:49 -0700

Admittedly my experience with the mac is what I could gleam while in one
of the Apple stores playing around with Voice-Over and my lack of
knowledge of how to use it effectively.  Dispite my limitted exposure, I
could not get Itunes to work at all and given that Itunes is one of
Apple's flagship programs, I was disppointed.  I also tried Mictosoft
Word that they had on the computer and about the only thing I could work
in either of those was the menus.  It was either in the Apple store or
the podcast I heard last summer with Our Jeff Bishop, Shelly Brisben and
Jerry Halliton that the Carbon framework was not accessible but stuff
written in cocoa framework would be much more compatible with Voice
Over.

Like others on this list have been saying, Voice Over has a ways to go
but I honestly don't think they are off to a bad start at all.  I mean,
how long did it take for the Windows screen readers to mature? If
Voice-Over can do it inside a couple years, well...

Still, I sincerely hope Apple is planning to grow this product.  If they
just sit on it like Microsoft has done with Narator, then Apple will be
no better than Microsoft except for giving people false hopes.  Apple
has introed with anice product.  I just it keeps growing and improving
with time.  I would bet that within ten years, it could run huge circles
around the windows products!

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 01:58:37AM -0700, BlindTech of BlindTechs.Net wrote:
> can you tell me, what limitations, you "KNOW" of and not limitations
> that you "HEARD" of.
> BlindTech of BlindTechs.Net
> blindtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> website: http://blindtechs.net
> Visit our website where we offer free email, shell accounts,
> shoutcast radio service, online games and more!
> Powered by Unix not Microsoft
>

> On Apr 7, 2006, at 3:10 PM, Chris Skarstad wrote:
>
> >Well, now all that's different is the hardware.  But my question
> >is, what makes mac hardware so much better than Windows stuff?
> >I do have to admit that i like the idea of just being able to walk
> >up to any computer, hit a hotkey and have a screenreader. I've
> >never been a mac geek, but I do have to say I'm impressed with the
> >idea. Now all they need to do is make it a *true* screenreader, one
> >that is as powerful as JAWS and Window-eyes. Right now, it is good
> >but there are still limitations.
> >

> >At 02:20 AM 4/7/2006, you wrote:
> >>600 is quite a bit?
> >>BlindTech of BlindTechs.Net
> >>blindtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >>website: http://blindtechs.net
> >>Visit our website where we offer free email, shell accounts,
> >>shoutcast radio service, online games and more!
> >>Powered by Unix not Microsoft
> >>

> >>On Apr 6, 2006, at 1:36 PM, Steve Holmes wrote:

- --
HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!
http://ld.net/?holmesgrown