Visual Verification: Petition Asks Yahoo to Tear Down "No Blind People Allowed" Sign

  • From: "Darrell Shandrow" <nu7i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jfw-employment@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "BlindNetDaily owners and primary contributors internal list." <owners@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <friends@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <blind_geek_zone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:15:24 -0700

We ask all of you to review and sign the Yahoo's Accessibility Improvement
Petition at asking the
company to make an audio alternative to its CAPTCHA available so that the blind
and visually impaired will be permitted timely access to the same services as
those already granted the sighted. The use of a telephone callback scheme is
totally insufficient as it does not grant the same level of instant access as
the sighted and Yahoo personnel
do not consistently make contact in a timely manner. It is our ongoing
contention that visual only CAPTCHA schemes without at least an accessible audio
alternative represent "No Blind People Allowed" signs in much the same way as
African-Americans were deliberately denied entry to restaurants and other
similar public accomodations in the era of segregation. We ask Yahoo to simply
fix their grievous error by promptly adding an audio CAPTCHA to all its
properties as soon as possible as part of the company's ongoing accessibility

Darrell Shandrow - Accessibility Evangelist
Information should be accessible to us without need of translation by another
Blind Access Journal blog and podcast:
Check out high quality telecommunications services at